Sunday, July 20, 2008

Vaco Taco

Guess what? I made something worth posting about that was NOT from Cook's Illustrated! I bought a small bone-in chuck roast at last week's farmers' market, and decided I wanted to make shredded beef tacos. I sliced an onion with the mandoline (on the "II" setting, about 1/8"), and sautéed it in a little canola oil in a nonstick skillet until it was soft and starting to brown. Then I added some freshly-ground cumin and some chili powder and sautéed a little longer to bloom the spices. I also rubbed some of the spices all over the meat while the onion was cooking, along with a little salt and pepper. I scraped the onion into the crock pot, added a little more oil to the pan, and browned the roast well on all sides. Then I popped it into the crock pot on top of the onion and turned the temperature to high. I added about 1/2 C of water, too, but next time I won't--the tacos were a bit drippy.

After about 5 hours, I lifted out the meat and shredded it with two forks, discarding the bone pieces and the nasty gristly parts, returning the meat to the pot with the onion. We made our tacos with whole-wheat tortillas (thank you Don Pancho), grated medium cheddar, heirloom tomato, chopped baby romaine, diced avocado, fresh salsa, sour cream, chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Yum. If I were making it for a spicy-tolerant crowd, I would add some heat, either with cayenne or fresh chiles in the sauté.


5 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Looks nummy! I was just thinking of fajitas, too. They might be a fantastic thing to have while we're visiting. I can't wait for all of that farmer's market produce!

Anonymous said...

We don't do fajitas these days--steak's a bit chewy for the Wizard to easily manage (I'm sure he'd probably be fine, but he has an easier time with less tough meats), and Cindy Lou really reacts badly when I eat peppers. We could easily do the shredded meat again, though.

Heather said...

I'm drooling here in Boston. And the the Sylvia Beach Hotel sounds so fun. Happy to have reconnected to you via the interwebs!!!

PhatNat said...

Oh yummy! I think I may actually be able to make this. And I think the carnivores at my house would love it!

Swizzies said...

I've been too lazy to login to comment (you people and your no anonymous comments thing!!)...but OMG, YUM. That looks so good I about had a foodgasm looking at it. Lordy. *Slurp*