Friday, August 17, 2007

Zucchini-Corn Pancakes

No more magazine invoices in the mail today, though I did get my second issue of CosmoGirl! (which helpfully had a 1-800 customer service number at the end of the masthead). Yesterday's invoice for Cuisine at Home brought the total thus far to seven.

Made the zucchini-corn pancakes for dinner last night with sauteed chicken breasts, and I ended up craving some kind of sauce or relish to go on them. If dinner hadn't already been so late, I might have thrown together something fresh with tomato and basil, but as it was I just cracked a jar of my mom's chili sauce out of the fridge.





I had some proportioning difficulty with the recipe as I got it, because no approximate measurements were given for the zucchini and corn. So I've added those. My pancakes weren't as great as they might have been because of this--I started out with one recipe, then ended up doubling the liquid and the flour, but not the baking powder (I didn't think of it until I'd added the flour, and then didn't want to mix it in on its own), scallions (didn't have any more) or cheese (in too much of a rush to get a late dinner on the table to grate more).

Zucchini-Corn Pancakes

2 ears corn kernels (about 1 C--fresh is MUCH preferable to frozen)
2 medium zucchini, grated on large holes, salted and squeezed (about 1 C after you're done)
1/2 C milk
1 egg, lightly beaten and mixed with milk
1/2 C chopped onion or 1/4 C chopped scallions

1 C flour
1/2 t salt (I skipped this because of the zucchini salt, and didn't miss it)
1 t baking powder
1 C grated sharp cheddar (I used medium which would have been fine if there'd been enough of it)

Grate zucchini on large holes or box grater or in Cuisinart (much faster!). Stir in 1 t kosher salt, then put in a small-holed colander or strainer over bowl and let sit for 30 minutes. Wrap in a double layer of paper towels and squeeze out as much water as you can (it's an amazingly large amount!).

Whisk dry ingredients together, then quickly stir in wet ingredients, and fold in zucchini, corn, onion/scallion and cheese. Fry in a nonstick skillet with a little butter over medium heat, keeping them in a warm oven until ready to serve.

Interestingly, today's Cook's Illustrated e-newsletter had a recipe for Zucchini Fritters. If you try them, let me know how they turn out.

And here we go: Number Two in full-on "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" mode:

6 comments:

Swizzies said...

I'm laughing at how much he looks like Mavis when he's saying "noooooo."

Anonymous said...

The August Sunset (Mt. edition) has a zucch fritters recipe, too. I guess this is the summer of zucchini pancakes!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Di, he does look like Mavis. But the temper (and volume!) is all me. ;)

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

I love Number Two. He's definitely got more of your personality!

Heather Richardson said...

Sooooooooo! cute! we are back from our UT adventure as well - and I'm serious - one of these summers soon we need a reunion in the Beehive state - everyone in the same place at the same time.

Unknown said...

The day I read your post I had just picked some zucchini, so I decided to give this recipe a try last weekend. Delicious!