Wednesday, August 15, 2007

. . . And We're Back

I came home to find this in my garden:



I had hoped my gardener would pick stuff when she came by to water, but I guess she was being polite. So I have a couple of zeppelins to get rid of. Think I'll have to follow Adriana's lead and go for the zucchini-corn pancakes. I'll let you know how they turn out (and post my version of the recipe Adriana borrowed). The smaller zuke, and I suppose whatever I don't use in the pancakes, will work great in the below pasta recipe.

I also came home to a big stack of mail, including invoices for four magazine subscriptions I don't recall signing up for: W, Home, CosmoGirl! and Teen Vogue. Dead giveaway that someone is pulling a prank on me: they don't know how to spell my first name correctly. That and one of the subscriptions was addressed to our two last names, with nary a first name in sight. I strongly suspect that this is at least technically illegal, as well as completely juvenile (true confession: in my younger and much more foolish days, I and some friends did this to someone who really bugged us, but I felt bad about it even at the time). I've even already received my first issue of CosmoGirl!

Our vacation was nice, though because I came down with a cold on the way there I didn't get to spend as much time with family (~new babies) as I would have liked. Mavis and I had our first getaway without kids since having them, and attended the Sunstone Symposium (hello to new readers from there--welcome and feel free to comment!). We also went to see my sister in the Utah Opera production of Gilbert & Sullivan's Gondoliers! at Deer Valley, which was thoroughly enjoyable.

We took way too few pictures, but here are a couple of nephew shots. The first one is of my ginormous 3-month-old nephew, born in May and already about 20 lbs. The second is of my little brother's middle boy's rad cowlick.



4 comments:

Swizzies said...

No way - your Simpsons avatar is AWESOME! I love it!! Mine turned out to be very dark-skinned, which is ludicrous. I WISH I had that complexion.

And your ginormous nephew looks like Jana - not the ginormous part, but in the face. He's quite a cutie.

Anonymous said...

He does have kind of a Jana expression in that picture, but in person he has more his dad's eyes. Definitely his mom's mouth, though.

It's too bad I didn't get a good picture of her two-year-old (they are fast-moving targets!), who is a dead ringer for his mom except for the nose (including personality!).

Di, did you do the Simpsons movie avatar (starting from zero), or the Simpsonize Me site (starting from an uploaded photo)? I didn't like the one I got from Simpsonize Me, so this one is from the site linked at Adriana's blog.

Swizzies said...

Oh, there's two different Simpsons avatar opptys? I used Simpsonize me, so now I must try the other one...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, two different Simpsons avatar sites.

And there were two more magazine invoices in yesterday's mail: Country Living and Travel & Leisure. Both of these were to the two-last-names (one misspelled) fictitious subscriber. Gosh, if I get enough of them I'll be able to figure out who did it just from who would have gone to a place with such a diverse collection of magazines!