Tuesday, August 28, 2007

End-of-Summer Birthday



Number One Son is now seven! Hard to believe. This summer of house projects while pregnant has taken me right back to a similar summer, with even bigger projects and bigger tummy, before we were parents. Parenting any kid has its ups and downs, but overall Number One is a delight, and we love being his mom and dad.

As per the tradition in my family, Number One got to pick the menu for his birthday dinner, which included J&J and fam and happened on Saturday instead of on the actual birthday day. We had mac and cheese with ham and peas (I made a huge, two-pounds-of-pasta batch, using shallot and a touch of dijon mustard in the white sauce), corn on the cob (just about the best I've had this summer--hooray for Winters Farms!), steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and a fruit salad of: apples, pears and peaches, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and bananas. For dessert there were chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting--a big one for the birthday boy and mini ones for everyone else.

He got some nice presents (only a couple of which are pictured), and had a good time hanging out with his cousins (as did Number Two).





Isn't he a handsome fella?



J and cousin A:



Number Two in a rather typical pose (darn that second set of molars--I wish they'd just come in already!):



A rare side view of me--can you believe I'm already this big with 7.5 weeks still to go? Oof. I promise I'll take at least one more profile before the end, so you can all see the glory of my hugeness.



On the actual birthday day, we told Number One we could go to any restaurant he chose, and we were surprised when he said, "Wendy's." He wouldn't tell us why he picked it, but we found out when we got there and he placed his order: a Baconator (two patties, three pieces of cheese and six pieces of bacon) and a Frosty with M&Ms mixed in. I guess he'd seen it on a commercial and had wanted to try it. The most amazing thing? He ate the whole burger, and about half the 12-oz Frosty, and seemed to suffer no ill effects afterward (I had terrible visions of a Supersize Me blowout in the parking lot). Too bad none of the places I would have preferred to Wendy's run ads on ESPN!

5 comments:

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Happy birthday, Number One!

JA: Is it just me, or has he had a growth spurt? He looks so much taller than he did at Christmas. Or maybe it's just the camera adding six inches....

Anonymous said...

He's grown about an inch and a quarter since the end of February, probably about an inch and a half or a tad more since Christmas. He is getting to be on the tall side, even starting to look a little gangly. I love it.

Heather Richardson said...

What a serious looking little guy! Absolutely adorable - it has been so much fun to watch him grow via the computer - I hope you keep the blogging bug well into (his) adulthood.
That said I also must say summer birthdays are a bit hard for a kid - they don't get recognized on their "special" day at school, and usually everyone you want to invite to the party is out of town on vacation. My poor twins - their birthday is Sept. 6th and this year it falls on exactly the first day of school. (still maybe not as bad as my #4 - his due date was Dec. 24th but we managed to get him out of there on the 17th....)

Swizzies said...

Those are some cute kids, man! And your tummy is quite impressive...I want to see it in another month. :-)

I also want one of those *&$# cupcakes!!

Anonymous said...

Aw, Di, if you were here I would have even given you one of the big ones, because you just had a birthday, too. Hope it was swell!