Monday, August 18, 2008

Conversations

Driving home from church yesterday (a muggy, uncomfortably warm transitional day after three scorchers around 100 degrees--today is still muggy, but much cooler and we are having a thunderstorm), I was kind of zoning out until my reverie was pierced by a panicking Wizard, "Mommy! Say 'Yes we are'!" I told him that I wouldn't say it until I knew what I was agreeing to. He got more panicky, and then exclaimed, "But we aren't in the tunnel any more!" Fortunately there was another short tunnel right after, so we were able to do a repeat: "Mommy, we're in a tunnel!" "Yes, we are."

This is one of many areas in which the Wizard is amazingly different from his older brother. Newton will never repeat himself more than once, and if I didn't understand him, too bad. Nothing like a mumbling proto-teenager to make you feel old and deaf. But he just doesn't seem to have the same need for feedback that the Wizard does. Is this an introvert-extrovert thing? I seem to remember reading that that is what makes the difference between extroverts and introverts, that need for feedback of whatever kind.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Then I have a couple of extroverts on my hands in my last two, because I must acknowledge EVERY utterance that comes out of their mouths, no matter where I am in the house! I'll share your joy/pain.

Tanner Family Blog said...

It's funny how kids are different. And I'm not sure about the extrovert thing, because I'm a total introvert - but I love feedback???