Monday, May 5, 2008

Springer

Yes, it's truly spring. The farmers' market is starting to have some real food available (not just greens and other winter carryovers), and the chinook are running in the Columbia. Saturday's dinner was almost entirely fresh from the farmers' market, and fixed in just about the simplest way possible: baked salmon fillets, blanched asparagus, and boiled baby potatoes. I drained the potatoes and tossed some butter in the pot to melt, then realized that I had frozen cubes of chopped herbs in EVOO left from last summer. I tossed one of those in, too, and oh, the deliciousness.



The salmon was sold unfilleted, as "roasts," i.e. the whole fish, gutted and then chopped rather unceremoniously into 2-3 lb chunks. So yay--my first experience with doing the filleting myself. I learned as I went, and the second half was rather neater than the first. It was a tad more than we needed for one meal, so I saved all the little bits, and last night adapted the Chowdah for the salmon, substituting it for the chicken, adding additional veggies (cauliflower and broccoli), using 2% instead of whole milk, and using a couple more of those frozen herb cubes (which probably contain a mixture of parsley, cilantro, basil and dill, though I can't be 100% sure) instead of freshly-chopped parsley. Besides cheddar, we also had a little locally-made dill havarti. Could not have been easier, or more delicious.



I didn't have bread to go with (need to mix up another batch of Simple Crusty Bread), so I made up a spare box of Jiffy corn muffins (bargain of the century at 69 cents a box). Perfect.

10 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

I'm really hungry right now and reading this blog doesn't help. Way past time to eat dinner. Can I just say NUM?!

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMM, splendid meal! I envy your proximity to fresh, wild salmon.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Yum. We're having friends over tomorrow evening and I'm going to the fish market to get salmon. I think I'm going to do sauteed spinach and risotto to go with mine, although, your asparagus and new potatoes look mighty yummy, too.

Luisa Perkins said...

Yum, JA.

Anonymous said...

Pshaw--it's not like I can really take any credit. Good shopping, not really culinary skill, right?

Think I can figure out a way to make that exact chowder, with the salmon and herbs, pan out for an Enrichment dinner?

The Laundry Queen said...

How big is your budget and your RS? That's a lot of salmon. It also depends on wether you can keep the salmon from getting overcooked--I think most people find overcooked chicken to be their norm, but not overcooked salmon.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure yet what the budget is. I don't need very much salmon per person if I'm making the chowder, though--maybe two ounces? If we typically get 50 people for Enrichment, that's about six pounds. The salmon at the farmers' market was (you're not going to believe this) $12/lb. So yeah, that kind of kills the budget, doesn't it? Maybe I'll see if John's home teachee with the boat wants to donate a salmon to the RS cause.

And overcooking is not really a problem with the chowder, since the salmon gently cooks in the broth.

The Laundry Queen said...

By the way, when I first read the name of this post, I thought you were going to be sharing a Jerry Springer-like event that had happened to you. I'm kind of bummed it wasn't what I thought. I tagged you on my blog (blame Tamsen). Check it out if you'd like to participate. Happy Mother's Day!

PhatNat said...

Oh my stars! I wish I lived closer to you so I could drop in, say....around dinner time!

nat!

Lisa Marie said...

Yummmmmm. I need cooking lessons from you! Everything looks SO yummy! My mom's visiting your folks, and she shot me over an email with your blog address. It's fun to see what you're up to, especially your talent of touching tongue to nose :)