Friday, March 14, 2008

Mmmm, Chowdah

For tonight's dinner I tried another recipe from that free trial issue of Cook's Country. It was quick and tasty. I made about 2/3 of the recipe, and we ate about 2/3 of it or a little less. Next time I'll have proportionally a tad more chicken (tonight's package had just under a pound). Here's more or less how I made it (using the magazine's original proportions):
Chicken/Sweet Potato/Corn Chowder
serves 8-10

3 C whole milk
1 cup Jiffy corn muffin mix
2 T butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t dried oregano (I'll use fresh when I have it)
2 qts low-sodium chicken broth (I used turkey broth from last Thanksgiving--it needed to be used up or risk languishing in the freezer forever)
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 sweet potatoes (about 1.5 lbs), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I always use garnet "yams")
1 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used cheddar, because the Monterey Jack I had had on hand got used up before I got around to making this recipe)
3 C frozen corn kernels (not thawed)
1/2 C chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix milk and muffin mix in large glass measuring cup (if you have to measure the milk anyway, why dirty another bowl?). Heat butter in dutch oven over medium heat until foaming. Sauté onion until softened and starting to brown. Add chicken and continue sautéing until chicken has lost most of its pink parts and the fond is building up on the bottom of the pan. Stir in garlic, cumin, oregano and about 1 t kosher salt until onions and chicken are coated and spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and sweet potatoes, bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are just forkable, 5-6 minutes.

2. Stir in milk/muffin mix mixture and simmer another 10 minutes, until soup thickens. Remove pan from heat and stir in corn and parsley. Adjust seasonings, then ladle into bowls and topped with grated cheese to serve.

7 comments:

Swizzies said...

Whoa, that's just wild. Use milk and corn muffin mix to form the creamy chowder base? Who even thought of that? It sounds yummy.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Oh, that looks tasty good!

Birrd said...

I make corn chowder quite a bit, but I never thought of using yams instead of potatoes. I LOVE yams. I'm dying to try this!!!

Anonymous said...

I had a bowl for lunch today, and it was just as good as last night. Something about the combination of cumin, oregano and fresh parsley just really works. It's one of those dishes that, while eating, you make involuntary yummy noises.

I have made in the past a similar recipe that appeared in Real Simple a few years ago, in a whole series of recipes (10 menus) that all used the same set of ingredients: sweet potatoes, broccoli, pears and either chicken, pork or salmon. I'll look for that recipe and see how it differs. Or I may just make this one again with pork or salmon instead of the chicken--I think there's enough Jiffy left in the box for another batch (since I only used 2/3 C).

Heather Richardson said...

This is just my speed. I need to get a batch in before the first day of spring this week.....

looks delicious!!

The Laundry Queen said...

I really wanted to try this when I saw it on your blog, but the temperatures were too warm for Mike to even consider chowder. I was bummed at the thought of having to wait until next fall to try it, so when I awoke to see 5 inches of snow on the ground this morning I jumped at the chance. It made for a good dinner. Mike tried the first bowl with the Monterey Jack and the second bowl with some Vintage White and said he prefers the latter. Nummy!

The Laundry Queen said...

I forgot to mention the kind of funny/gross part about making the chowder last night. While grating the cheese, I accidentally grated my knuckle. After Mike ate the last bite of his first bowl he mentioned that he had this little piece of cheese that wouldn't melt. Oops!