Friday, March 21, 2008

Saffron-Yogurt Chicken Curry

So, I copied Adriana and made that Chicken Curry from FoodBuzz. Because it was a complicated recipe, I did a mise en place with most of the ingredients, and naturally missed adding a couple of things (the sugar and the tomato puree (I used tomato paste from a tube)) at the right time. It still turned out fantastically tasty.

The yogurt-saffron mixture (I used whole milk yogurt, and some of that Spanish saffron):



The spices to be bloomed in hot oil:



The onion/garlic/ginger paste, with the spices due to be added with it:



I decided to brown my chicken before starting anything else, for more flavor. Next time I'll cut the chicken into smaller pieces.



After the sauté, starting to stew (next time I'll add the cauliflower half-way through, and resist the impulse to add just a little extra water):



The finished curry, after stirring in the yogurt/saffron and simmering a bit longer (when I first added it, the yogurt seemed to curdle, but after a little while simmering, it seemed to un-curdle; white bits visible in the finished dish are from the overcooked cauliflower):



Served over long-grain brown rice, with frozen naan from Trader Joe's (remarkably tasty):



Finally, a picture of Cindy Lou with Mavis (he's usually the one behind the camera). I wanted a picture of her in one of my favorite outfits for her before she outgrows it:

2 comments:

Swizzies said...

Mmm, food looks yummy and so does Bebe. Hi to Mavis!

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the recipe! I can't wait to make it again.