Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Making Life Simpler

So, I had these corn tortillas that had been in the freezer for who knows how long (seriously, well over a year--I can hear my sister gasping from here), and the last time I used them to make enchiladas they were kind of hard to deal with, and didn't roll up all pretty like they were supposed to. Hmmm, I thought, I wonder what would happen if I made all the ingredients for enchiladas, and then layered them in the dish à la lasagna? Last night I found out.



Deliciousness. And you can skip all that softening-of-the-tortillas nonsense. I followed the recipe for the sauce, but didn't strain out the solids, and mixed just the cheese (queso fresco) and cilantro together. I put a little of the sauce in the bottom of the pan, made an overlapping layer of six tortillas, topped it with half the cheese, then half the chicken (trying to leave most of the sauce in the pan), then repeated, scraping all the sauce out of the skillet with a silicone spatula. After 20 minutes in the oven at 300, it was perfect. Newton thought it was a bit too spicy (buying bulk chili powder is a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to the Scoville scale), but was able to finish his serving with a little sour cream. Cindy Lou liked it okay, but the Wizard switched to leftover pasta.

Stay tuned for more adventures with the technically-still-edible as I try to plan around things already on hand in the pantry.

3 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

No gasping here, but I will admit to a bit of a wince and cringe.

Janet Kincaid said...

Oh, a Santa Fe enchilada. Sounds yummy! But then I'm a sucker for just about anything Mexican, sans the cilantro. (Tastes like soap.)

Sous Chef said...

We've been making "enchiladasagna" for years. I've gotten to the point where Iactually prefer that to traditional echiladas.

Try doing it with a salsa verde and some leftover roasted chicken.