Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Seasonless deliciousness

Really, if enchiladas do have a season I can't think what it would be. Well, maybe if we lived somewhere avocados grow the season would be when they are ripe, but any more it seems we can get good California Hass avocados practically year-round.

Adriana thoughtfully typed in the recipe for these fabulous enchiladas last year (after I either typed or scanned it and sent it to her). Like Adriana, I omitted the pickled jalapeños, but unlike her I did not omit the sugar. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs, but I cooked them whole in the sauce and shredded them after cooling. I also think cheddar cheese is absolute anathema where enchiladas are concerned. Typically I would use queso blanco, but couldn't find it at my supermarket this week, so I got cotija instead. Unless you really depend on having that stretchy Americanized cheese enchilada experience, I highly recommend this substitution.

I forgot to reserve any cheese to put on top of the enchiladas before they went in the oven, or to reserve any cilantro to use as a garnish, so they didn't look as pretty as they otherwise might have, but dang they tasted just fiiiiiiine. I garnished with baby spinach, chopped tomato and avocado, a squirt of fresh lime, and a big dollop of sour cream, and served with steamed summer squash, some of it from my own garden. Observant readers/recipe try-ers will notice that there are 12 enchiladas in my pan, not 10. Well, I think a snug enchilada is a happy enchilada, and 12 fit better in my Pyrex 9x13 than 10. YMMV.



No comments: