Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Night Olio

I got so caught up listening to the election coverage that we completely spaced Newton's piano lesson tonight. Oops! Hope we can figure out a time to make it up.

Just after the election was called, around 8 pm here, I heard some ruckus, so I went to the front door to check. I could hear neighbors in at least three different directions out on their front porches, whoopin' and hollerin', and a few car horns tooting. I let out a whoop, too. Wonder when we'll get around to taking down our lawn sign, or taking the magnet off our car?

____

I have taken to calling myself a Garbage Nazi. I try not to throw anything away that can be reused or recycled. I really knew it was bad when I was able to organize three Enrichment crafts just from materials I had on hand. So this morning as I was pulling out of the driveway to take Newton to school (and teach music there), I noticed that our next-door neighbor had some block styrofoam balanced on top of his garbage can. I immediately pulled out my phone and called to tell David to snag it and add it to our own basement stash of block styrofoam so it wouldn't go to the landfill. No, I don't have a reuse in mind for the block styrofoam. It's just enough of a pain to recycle (though less than it used to be) that I'll wait until I have a good load of it to do so.

Question: should I tell the neighbor I took it? Should I send an offer of recycling assistance on the neighborhood e-mail list? Or should I just keep my mouth shut and not turn completely into a recycling evangelist?

____

Quite suddenly, the Wizard started being able to match pitch, a little, sort of. I had been a little concerned that it wasn't able to carry a tune or match my pitch when I was singing with him, even after I experimented with different ranges. Then, last week, he just started spontaneously matching me, between 10 and 30% of the time. Then he would say, at the end of each song, "Mommy! You sing just like me!" Very cute. I hope it does end up being spontaneous and effortless--I would hate for it to become an issue like it did with my youngest sister (she was a little later to match pitch than some, and we made fun of her, and she stopped singing).

____

The Martha Stewart enameled cast iron dutch ovens have been marked down further, at least some of them. The smaller size is now down to 50% off, so keep an eye out for the larger size to do the same.

____

For your edification and enjoyment, some recent shots of Cindy Lou:





3 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Just a few comments...

a) keep your garbage Nazi-ism under your own roof (I actually referred to you as the Recycling Nazi after we got back from staying with you). I realized when I got home from vacation that while staying with you I actually felt a great deal of stress and fear that I would unknowingly throw something away that could be recycled or composted. Don't make your neighbors live with that same fear. You are not their mother or employer, so let them decide what to do on their own.

b) From what I have learned, it is quite normal for kids not to be able to match pitch until they're 5. The Wizard is still quite a ways from that, so don't go worrying just because you know other kids his age who can, or because you think he should be able to because you are a singer and he must be a singer, too.

c) It's good to see the pink overalls in action!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's not just that he wasn't matching pitch. He wasn't singing a tune, and he still mostly doesn't. No tune. Often not even going sort of up and down where the tune goes up and down. When we made fun of Auntie Art, she was singing a perfectly good tune, just in a different key than the rest of us.

Jen said...

I'm just feeling like I just saw a post-impressionist painting for the first time and I'm trying to figure out how all the parts fit together! =) So I'll just say that Cindy Lou is looking darling!