Thursday, November 8, 2007

C is for Cookie

What could be better than nuts and honey?

Here is the silver lining to the magazine prank of the last few months (got an issue of Sew News today, yay): a good recipe. The Cookie of the Month in the September issue of Martha Stewart Living was Honey-Walnut Coins (try as I might, I could not find this recipe on marthastewart.com, but Google found it at the walnut board website). I have always believed that walnuts are evil, but I quickly figured out a way to get around that issue: hazelnuts. Now, I've learned in the past that nuts aren't always substitutable, but this time it worked like a charm.

I also used local late-summer honey instead of Martha's recommended orange blossom, and the floral, slightly fruity flavor was divine. I'd also recommend making the cookies quite a bit thinner than specified in the recipe (I made the dough into a log and then cut it, after chilling, into 3/8" slices--next time I'll even try 1/4"), and cooking them a bit longer, until well golden all over, not just pale golden at the edges. I skipped the final honey glaze, and there was no shortage of honey flavor.



*To toast hazelnuts, bake at 275° until they start to smell toasty and the skins have split. Let cool and then rub the skins off with your fingers or a coarse kitchen towel.

**"C is for Cookie" is one of Number Two's favorite songs, and the first one he ever tried to sing on his own. He misses most of the words, still, so it goes "C, cookie, C, cookie, Cookie, cookie C, Cookie cookie cookie C," etc. We are loving watching/hearing his language acquisition--new this week: gerunds, possessives, and plurals!

2 comments:

Birrd said...

Speaking of kid songs, I just have to tell you: every time I see the name of your blog, my brain bursts into the Wiggles song "Fruit Salad" only it's "Fugue Salad... Yummy Yummy!" An occupational hazard of motherhood, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Number Two LOVES The Wiggles and watches it every day. I used to be pretty anti-Wiggles (and anti-Barney, for that matter), but I've definitely softened. The Wiggles is currently the only non-PBS show he watches.