Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lost in Translation II

Cindy Lou got that big number board book from the sale books shelf at Powell's. Reading it with her yesterday, I noticed a sticker on one of the early pages, talking about numbers of body parts. The body part is fingers, and the sticker says "10 ten," just above "10 ten toes." What on earth was it covering up, I wondered? I peered closely at the sticker in good light, and was able to figure out that it was covering "9 nine." Nine fingers!?!?!? What the?!?!?! Who the heck wouldn't catch that?!? A lightbulb went off over my head, and I turned to the copyright page. Yes, just as I thought: printed in China. Apparently not enough English readers in the print factory that day. Can you imagine opening your huge container of books you've ordered, and discovering they all say "9 nine fingers"? Someone surely got fired over that one.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You have no idea what kind of smile this brought to my face.