Monday, February 12, 2007

Another Recent Simple Dinner

We try to have fish at least a few times a month, depending on what's nice and fresh at the fish market. My favorite is salmon (of course), but we also like halibut. The halibut I've made both wrapped in pancetta and crusted in hazelnuts--guess which one Number One Son likes better?

On a recent trip to the fish market (Newman's, at City Market), they had only frozen salmon and halibut (yuk), but they did have nice fresh local (Oregon Coast) filets of petrale sole. Generally speaking, one white fish is pretty much interchangeable with another, so I figured I could adapt the pancetta-wrapped halibut recipe to use the sole.

And then they (Viande Meats at City Market) were out of the pancetta! So I got a few thin slices of house-smoked applewood bacon, and figured I'd punt.

At home, I sprinkled the filets with some fresh thyme leaves (everyone should grow this!), and I think a little salt and pepper (my memory is somewhat foggy--with the salty bacon I might have skipped the salt), then rolled them up and wrapped the bacon around them, and sprinkled the last few thyme leaves on top.



Then I roasted them on a pre-heated pan at 450 for 10-15 minutes (again, memory is somewhat foggy--bacon should be crisp-ish and fish opaque and flaky), and served with brown rice and steamed broccoli. Another hit with the kids AND the parents!

1 comment:

MWR said...

Finally, a way to make bacon palatable.