Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mixed Bag

I should have made it on New Year's Day, of course, but I got around to making Hoppin' JaneAnne, and this time I took pictures! It was only a mixed bag because Newton didn't like the squash, the Wizard didn't like the black-eyed peas, and Cindy Lou was pretty dubious about the whole thing. I thought it was delicious.

The black-eyed peas, a little overcooked because I forgot to turn the crock pot to low before going shoe shopping.


The bacon.


The butternut squash, peeled and cubed.


The onion, chopped in the Cuisinart.


Sautéeing the bacon.


Sautéeing the onions and celery in a little bacon grease.


Carrot, julienned with the mandoline.


Baby spinach, stemmed and roughly chopped.


Spinach sautéed with the wilted and browned onion and celery.


Toasting the rice in a little bacon grease.


Simmering the rice, carrot and squash covered in chicken broth.


The finished product, after folding in the bacon, sautéed veggies and black-eyed peas.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I curse you and your delicious looking pictures! I'm hungry every time I leave your blog!

Unknown said...

I came in search of the new post, as promised on Facebook. More yummy food pictures!! :-)

Also, I think you should aim for having ALL your FB updates be about food. Totally.